Latimer LighthouseLatimer Reef Light is a sparkplug lighthouse on Latimer's Reef in Fishers Island Sound. The lighthouse is located one mile northwest of East Point on Fisher's Island, Suffolk County, New York. Originally called Latemore's Reef after James Latemore.
On July 9, 2008, the United States Secretary of the Interior identified Latimer Reef Light Station as surplus under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act of 2000. The property was described as Latimer Reef Light was completed in 1884. It sits in 18 feet of water at the western end offshore of Fisher's Island Sound. The light includes a 30 foot diameter cylindrical caisson foundation painted brown. The caisson is filled with concrete and surrounded by riprap. This foundation supports a 46 foot cast iron superstructure that includes a four-story conical tower topped by a one-story cylindrical watch room and decagonal lantern. The tower, watch room and lantern are painted white with a brown stripe a full story tall around the tower's third story. Plum Island Lighthouse on Wikipedia
Year first constructed: 1804
Year first lit: 1884
« Return to lighthouse list